6.06.2010

Recycled Sari Silk Mittens (or as I like to call them Happy Hippy Mittens)


In my last post, I talked about the recycled sari silk mittens I was working on. I finished them tonight, and figured I'd write up the pattern here. Even though it's a really basic mitten pattern, its nice to have someone else figure out all the math stuff for you. I looked for patterns to use this ball of yarn so I could admire all of its colours and textures, but came up short. Unless I liked drop-stitch scarves (which I don't, all that loose yarn makes me anxious), or had just a bit more yarn to knit a bag (that I probably would not use, so that would be a waste), there just was't much out there. So I decided to use it to knit my favorite thing, mittens!

Mittens are a little bit of an unconventional use for this sort of yarn. It's not really stretchy or particularly soft and fuzzy (although a bit of washing with a gentle conditioner goes a long way!), and some people find it really difficult to work with. Maybe it is the particular brand, (Darn Good Yarn Wild Peacock Recycled Silk), but this stuff knit up really well. And quick! Because it's so chunky they knit up crazy fast, and only took a few hours per mitten. Sure they are not warm fuzzy wool mittens, but think of how much more positive your outlook will be on a cold February morning when you are wearing such colourful and exotic mittens! Like their yarn's namesake, they look like vibrant peacocks strutting their stuff. No one is going to be mistaking these mitts for their Thinsulate flip top mittens. Anyways, on to the pattern.

Happy Hippy Recycled Sari Silk Mittens

Yarn:
Darn Good Yarn Wild Peacock Recycled Silk (or any chunky recycled silk yarn)
The ball is 155 meters (or 170 yards), and I would say each mitten used about a third of it.
Needles:
Size 8 (5.0mm) double-pointed needles
Gauge:
17 rows and 14 stitches in a 4 by 4 inch square
Size:
Finished mitten is 9 inches long and 3 3/4 inches wide, it's on the larger side of medium
Note:
In the shaping of the thumb gusset, when I say M1, I mean make or increase however you feel comfortable, as long as it does not make a hole. I KFB'd (knit into the front and back of one stitch). For more information on increases look here. And here are decreases for good measure.

Pattern:
Cuff:
Cast on 21 stitches and divide equally between 3 needles
Knit 10 rows
This will give you a cuff of about 1 1/2 inches, if you want a larger cuff, just knit a few extra rows.

Shape Thumb Gusset:
K10, M1, K1, M1, K10 (23 stitches on needles)
Knit one row
K10, M1, K3, M1, K10 (25 stitches on needles)
Knit one row
K10, M1, K5, M1, K10 (27 stitches on needles)
Knit one row
K10, M1, K7, M1, K10 (29 stitches on needles)
Knit two rows
K10, put 9 stitches on holder or waste yarn, k10 (20 stitches on needles)

Body:
Right mitten:
M1, K10, M1, K10 (22 stitches on needles)
Left mitten:
K10, M1, K10, M1 (22 stitches on needles)
Both mittens:
Knit 17 rows

Top:
K2tog, K7, SKP, K2tog, K7, SKP (18 stitches on needles)
Knit 1 row
K2tog, K5, SKP, K2tog, K5, SKP (14 stitches on needles)
Place 7 stitches on each on two needles and bind off using kitchener stitch

Thumb:
Pick up 9 stitches from waste yarn, as well as one from each side of the inside thumb (11 stitches)
Knit 10 rows. In the first row knit the two picked up stitches together (10 stitches)
K2tog, K1, SKP, K2tog, K1, SKP (6 stitches)
Knit 1 row
Place 3 stitches each on 2 needles. Bind off using kitchener stitch

Weave in all ends and gently hand wash with a gentle conditioner to soften. Air dry. Dazzle!

1 comment:

  1. They'll actually be warmer than wool. Silk is a super insulator. I made myself socks and mittens out of this yarn last year, and they are great for frosty nights at camp (the socks) and for liners inside other mitts when it is way below freezing. I wouldn't wear the mitts alone, though.

    They are also very, very soft and, well, silky, against the skin.

    ReplyDelete