5.11.2010

Sewing and doing...


Yesterday was the start of the Kids Clothes Week Challenge. Having no time to sew, I spent some time cutting last night, and then a couple of hours sewing this morning. I made B some slippers, finished up some bibs I had already cut up, and a t-shirt for B. It was mildly disastrous, I have lost a lot of my sewing ability, and especially my pattern making ability. And the stupid machine kept un-threading (mostly my own fault). Even though my work is a little wonky, B likes it, and I guess that is what matters. He is wearing his slippers right now (based on this pattern - I made cutouts on the bottom and put a piece of fake leather I had around between the two sole pieces for grip). The bibs are pretty straightforward. The pattern is from Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing for Baby, but really, it's not the sort of thing you need a pattern for. The t-shirt I made the pattern for using one of B's t-shirts. The sleeves are a little off because I did them all wrong. When the Apple Store opened here, they were giving out free shirts, and I had meant to make mine B sized, because it's not the sort of shirt I would wear, so I am glad I finally got around to doing that. B LOVES the Apple Store. I think it's because they clapped a lot when it opened and he got really excited. And they have computers for him to play on. And he likes the mall in general.



I finished the body of one of my Squirrelly Swedish Mittens yesterday, I just need to add the thumb. I really like the colours and they are so soft. I know they will probably pill a lot, being alpaca, but I don't care, they are that soft. I want to finish all my on-the-go projects in the next week so I can start new ones! For Mother's Day I got a gift certificate to Darn Good Yarn (and a really colourful necklace from Aldo that B picked out and likes a lot, he sits there naming the shapes). I ordered some Banana Fiber in Rocky Mountain, and a skein of slightly unrefined Sari Silk. I hear the Sari Silk is a bit tricky to work with, but the colour payout is worth it. And the banana fiber sounds fun! I am excited. I love getting packages in the mail. I finished the Little Seedling Soaker, but not in time. It looks pretty cute on O though, so it's all good. It will be perfect with a t-shirt in the summer. I love the yarn, I wish I had more!



We gave B a mohawk the other day, it's pretty darn cute. He also got these new sunglasses that make him look extra cool. B and I spent a lot of time last week working on Mother's Day presents. They look really simple, but the amount of energy that it takes to get a 2 year old to focus on such a task for long enough is a lot. I helped him colour two mugs and paint a tote bag. If I had a nickel for every time I told him to keep his hands in the air while they were covered in fabric paint, I'd be rich! And it worked! No mess! This week so far, we are just taking it easy, no grand plans.


1 comment:

  1. i love the totes bags! that is a great idea! it sounds like you had a wonderful mother's day!

    ReplyDelete